Hello, here is a new post about our Round Robin group: I received Carla’s central block quite a while ago, but I was too intimidated by everyone’s work on this quilt top that I didn’t do anything for a long time. I mean, look at these cute ladybirds and pretty flowers from Rebecca, how can you compete with that?
The quilt top looked pretty much finished to me and it was hard to come up with a plan. I first was thinking of adding some birch tree blocks like Amanda from Crazy mum quilts. I really like those blocks but a quilting friends suggested why not an appliqué vine?
It took time in my mind to go for the vines as I never done any appliqué before, but Carla is actually encouraging us to try something new in her block. So vines it was.
At first, I was slightly stress to do my first appliqué in her quilt top but it turns out I really enjoyed it! I’m sure, you will see more appliqué from me in the near future…
I was happy about my new borders but wanted to sew something different for the corners. I picked the four background fabrics that Carla used in her central block and started to chop them up in four. I mixed the pieces and added the same fabric as my vines to add contrast.
It was very improvisational as before cutting the pieces, I didn’t really have a final idea for the corners. But I like it. It almost meets my vines from each side but not quite. It wasn’t meant to meet as it is an improv piece. I hope it doesn’t look too odd though.
This is how Carla’s quilt top looks like now:
I’m really happy with the result. I think it ties in well with the theme. I tried to had a splash of colours but no options looked very nice so I stayed with the B&W plus green combo. Hope Carla likes it too.
Don’t forget to check my Possum Magic friends over here:
- Carla from Granny Maud’s Girl
- Wendy from Wendy’s Quilts and More
- Jane from Where Jane Creates
- Jo from Riddle and Whimsy
- Serena from Sew Giving
- Sharon from Motherdragon’s Musings
- Rebecca from One Wee Bird
Linking up with: